Monday, July 02, 2007

 

Rediscovering Singapore's Arts-TOK Adventure

2/7/07

Hmm...the title doesnt sound cool at all.I actually wanted a cool title for today's entry because today's been quite a day.I just want to thank God for the day because...what i planned to do didn't happen but instead, by God's grace, more amazing things took place haha.Lets recount my memorable day shall we? =)

I must admit i started the day rather late.Having woken up at around 8 am, I could have been more productive and started work earlier.(Don't ask me why i woke up at such a time during a holiday)Well,anyway, I slacked around the house for a few more hours, waiting until about 11 and set off, with national library as the beginning destination and ending at the esplanade.Ive planned to finish my IOP poem analysis, TOK research and EE research as well.What actually happened?Instead of doing my work in the library which i never set food in eventually, I spent 2 hours at Delifrance on Bras Basah Rd and managed to finish half of the poem.It was really quiet and all,since i was the only customer whose stingy order of an ice mocha and a quiche allowed the staff continuous free time.I was quite productive there, considering i could cover the poem and understand its subtleties underlying the form of the poem.Well, it's a very depressing poem(whats new) and yeah, i couldn't take it after a while and hence, paid my bill and left at around lunch time.

I was actually looking for the national library but detoured to the Singapore Arts Museum(S.A.M) and in the end, as mentioned earlier, never made it to the NLB.I did not regret my detour for a single minute.It must have been God guiding me(since i prayed the day before for Him to guide me through the next day and make it productive) because the SAM was having an exhibition of a chinese painter whose works heavily reflected opinions and ways of life under communism.I was very captivated by his works, and took several notes on paintings i could understand and thought would help with my TOK essay.More exciting things were on my way.There's also an engraving works of the Louvre on exhibition which i took a look.Oh well, not as fascinating, but enchanting and awe-worthy are the explantions on engraving techniques that had been used and commissioned since Louis XIV days.Again, I took notes, but in less details.

I was about to leave the place when the curator asked if i would be interested to follow a tour of the museum.The guide was actually a venezulean volunteer and the menu for the day was Singapore's artists and their different techniques as well as Indonesian and Philippino artists.Such is the pathetic state of singapore's arts appreciation, having a foreigner to explain to us about our own artists...Oh well, praise the Lord for such art enthusiasts, for without them, the art scene would be in even a more dire condition.Well, I agreed to the tour.As a matter of fact, it would give plenty to talk about for my TOK essay, especially now i have a guide who knows her stuff and could provide clear explanation on the paintings.We took a tour and analysed the works of 3 pioneering artists in singapore.Having always been interested in arts,I was pretty immensed in the whole experience.I took more notes, in even more details. The small tour group initially comprised of about 6 later shrunk to the size of just 3 people including myself and a mother and daughter. The little girl was really smart and all, being able to identify elements within the paintings as the guide pointed out.Oh well, the most interesting part of the whole tour was indisputably the works of the indonesian artist Alfandi.His works are..wow..and his daughter's work of defiance against the muslim's rule of man having multiple wives enthralled me.She's the artist,and also the freedom fighter whose struggle against restrictions and rules though limited itself to her paintings, had a far reaching influence on indonesian female artists and women in general.

The latter hours of the afternoon were spent at the esplanade's NBL.It's really a labyrinth for the arts enthusiasts like me.Oh man, i could have spent hours inside there.Ive found my music heaven.I borrowed some really good books on singing and music techniques that are both useful for TOK and my singing.Hmm...what a trip.

Okie..due to time constraint, i will stop here.I'm really grateful to God, now that i think about the day in an entity.He has allowed me to see parts of singapore Ive ignored for a while and the little treasures these places hold.How wonderful a feeling to know the day is in His hands and He has directed and guided me even in my little endeavours.Thank you Lord.You are marvellous beyond words.=))

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]