Saturday, January 15, 2005

 

Vietnam

As I said last week,this week is view on issues.The first topic I have decided to talk on is Vietnam-the people,the life and the "politics"

As you know, I went back to Vietnam to visit my dad last year in november.I also went to the north to visit my grandma and my relatives there.I went back alone.Although I stayed with my dad, I had much freedom,much time alone as my dad has to work in the day so i could roam the streets freely on my own.Apart from that, I also had much time to think about my this country,how it has changed(or has not more likely) and how i would want to play a part.No, not as a citizen,but a helper from singapore.

You know I had been away for a total of 5 years now.That is a lot of time for me.Almost every year, or once every 2 years I come back to visit.I always told myself there would be some sort of change for sure..but the fact is, the changes are so minimal I could count with my fingers.

The city life is...chaotic.There are too many people,to many vehicles,to many houses that has basically no town planning whatsoever,the whole place is a mess.5 years, and still, it seems as though the city has never really changed. That, however, is only the physical part of it, and sadly, many people do not see what's wrong with the city they are livin in.For those who do, they themselves can't do much to savage the situation.

Isn't that sad?Sai gon was once the gem of indochine and look at it now.It looks like singapore 30 years ago, and yet some people still arrogantly boast that Vietnam will catch up and take over Singapore.ya rite...I'M DYING to see the day that will come,wondering if it is my lifetime.And those vietnamese, don't forget singapore has helped vietnam a lot, being its largest investor although the vietnamese government is still putting so many restrictions for the foreign investors to do business,as if they are not at the mercy of the these investors who had partially helped to build up its economy.

When I was touring the streets, the main streets I mean, I was pretty surprised to see so many french and americans as well as japanese foreigners.A lot, I must say.The french probably come to see what their own forefathers had done to this southeast asian nation many years back.The same goes for the americans.I dont know about the japs.Well, it was a refreshing scene I must say. However, it seems as though these tourists are not very welcome;or at least thats what I see from the people's behaviors.They really dont know anything about tourism.They dont know how to keep these buyers and they also have not shown much professionalism in their jobs.How pathetic, and how ironic.

I would continue with this next week,i'm running out of time now.Yupzz...

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]